With the ability to purchase the abortion pill online, access has changed quite a bit. However, there are risks that you should be aware of when purchasing the abortion pill online.
Knowing the risks and taking appropriate safeguards are critical to protecting your health.
What Is the Abortion Pill?
The abortion pill consists of two drugs: mifepristone and misoprostol.
Mifepristone is the first dosage and works to block the pregnancy hormone, progesterone. The embryo then detaches from the uterus and no longer receives nutrients to continue developing.
Misoprostol is the second drug and causes contractions to expel the pregnancy from the body through the vagina.
Abortion Pill Risks
According to the Mayo Clinic, there are possible risks of the abortion pill, instances where the abortion pill is not an option, and over 200 medications that are not recommended to be taken with the abortion pill. Possible risks of the pill include include:
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
Medical abortion is not a possibility if you:
- Are too far along in your pregnancy (ten weeks or more from the start of your last period)
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD) currently in place
- Have a suspected pregnancy outside of the uterus, called an ectopic pregnancy
- Have certain medical conditions. These conditions include bleeding disorders; particular heart or blood vessel diseases; severe liver, kidney, or lung disease; or an uncontrolled seizure disorder
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medicines
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your provider or don’t have access to emergency care
- Have an allergy to the medicine used
Risks of Ordering the Abortion Pill Online
As with any medication purchased online, there are potential risks. Risks from ordering the abortion pill online include:
Skipping Pre-Abortion Screening
Suppose you don’t know the gestational age of your pregnancy. In that case, you risk taking the abortion pill too late, which can impose serious health risks, including infection and even having fetal tissue that remains in your body, which can require further medical treatment to remove.
Getting an ultrasound is a vital help in knowing the gestational age and the location of your pregnancy (ensuring that it is not an ectopic pregnancy).
Unknown Quality of Medication
When one orders the abortion pill online, it can come with the risk of not knowing what one is receiving. As with any medication ordered online, it is vital to ensure that the FDA has approved it.
Some online vendors may sell medications that have not passed the standard FDA testing and approval process. Before taking any medications, one should always discuss them with their medical provider.
When faced with an unplanned pregnancy, the most important aspect is protecting your health and well-being.
Even if you are thinking about the abortion pill, it is crucial to confirm your pregnancy with a medical-grade pregnancy test and an ultrasound. Confirming your pregnancy also helps to understand what options are available to you.
You deserve to have your questions answered to feel confident in your decision. Schedule a free and confidential appointment today. We are here to walk with you on this journey. *Though we do not perform or refer for abortions at our Center, we do provide abortion education so clients can be informed prior to a pregnancy decision.