We understand that abortion can be a very heavy pregnancy decision and that a vast array of emotions are a part of this process. Prior to committing to a procedure, it’s important to familiarize yourself with potential side effects, including impacts on mental health. Additionally, it is important to explore each option you have available to you prior to making a final choice.
How Can Abortion Affect Me Mentally?
Before any abortion procedure, women deserve to know all the risks, complications, and side effects. Some mental effects abortion can cause are:
- Elevated Increased rates of mental illness
Additionally, PAS (Post Abortion Stress) can occur following an abortion experience. To learn more visit the page on our “Learn” tab to see how PAS could potentially affect you.
What Is the Definition of Depression?
Depression is “a common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think, and how you act.” Common signs linked to depression can be:
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Feeling sad
- Having a depressed mood
Understanding when you are experiencing depression and knowing when to reach out for extra professional assistance is essential. This is not an uncommon side effect of Post Abortion Stress. Whether others know about this mental health journey, or if you are fighting through this alone, it is important to seek proper treatment to get on the road of healing.
Be sure to reach out to a trusted professional if you believe you are experiencing PAS. We keep an updated list of referrals for professional counselors in our area who would be able to help. Additionally, our Center holds an After Abortion Care support group for women who are struggling following an abortion experience.
If I’m Unsure About Abortion, Could Adoption be a Positive Alternative?
Adoption can be bitter-sweet with mixed feelings for all parties involved. Though adoption still results in an element of loss, according to testimonials on adoption, this decision can also produce a positive experience for birth moms, adoptive parents, and their children.
Additionally, adoption is an option that surrounds you with encouragement and help. Throughout the process, you are met with a constant support system through both the adoption agency, the adoptive parents, and whoever else you wish to accompany you on this journey.
Other benefits of adoption for women are:
- It allows them to continue pursuing their goals.
- It relieves a great deal of the financial and emotional stress of an unplanned pregnancy and/or single parenting, and allows them to receive help with living expenses during their pregnancy.
- The adoption agency Mosaic works with allows all pregnancy medical expenses to be covered, making this the only free pregnancy option.
- Knowing that loving pre-screened adoptive parents will provide a safe, stable, and nurturing home offers peace of mind. You are also able to pick the family with which you would like your child to be placed.
- It is an opportunity to help hopeful parents who would not be able to have a child otherwise.
- Choosing to make an adoption plan gives a woman access to essential services and resources, including professional counseling, at no cost.
- Open or semi-open adoption offers opportunities to stay in touch with the child. For moms who prefer more privacy and anonymity in this process, closed adoption is an option that allows you to be removed from the raising of the baby if that is what you desire.
I Have Additional Questions
If you want to discuss your options or have additional questions, contact us today for a free appointment.
We offer free medical-grade pregnancy testing and limited ultrasounds to confirm pregnancy. We also offer no-cost options counseling to understand what decision might be right for you. Though we do not provide abortions at Mosaic, we offer abortion education so that you can make an informed choice.
You are never alone, and you do have options. We promise to walk with you every step of the way.